Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Weekend Adventures

This past weekend we went camping at Boyd Lake in Loveland. It was the first time we had the motorhome and boat out in a year and a half, so we were like camping and boating virgins. We arrived Thursday evening and got the motorhome set up- no problems there. Friday morning we were going to go boating-so we hooked it up to the truck which we brought up with us so we didn't have to relocate our weekend home to put the boat on the water. We hooked it up to the receiver and it appeared to latch but a few feet away we found out it had not as it pulled off of the receiver and hit the back of the truck before the safety chains let go and then the wiring plug pulled apart as it was the only thing left holding the trailer to the truck. A few curse words later we hooked it up to the truck again and pulled into an empty camp site. The plug had to be rewired about an hour later we finally were ready to put the boat on the water. We wait in line back down the boat ramp get it ready to be unhooked and it won't turn over. Out of the water we go. We get up to the lot and a quick review of the engine compartment shows a battery that has literally melted. Two crying kids later we are back at the campsite. We go down to the lake and swim for awhile. Then is time for lunch and to get cleaned up. We stop by Walmart on our way to Cheyenne Frontier Days and the Trace Adkins and Montgomery Gentry concert and get a new battery. During the concert I noticed my feet were itching and burning. In the bathroom I notice that my legs and feet from my Capri pants down I am covered in bug bites. I try to enjoy the rest of the concert but continue to itch. Trace Adkins is awesome in concert whereas Montgomery Gentry's sound system left something to be desired and you could barely understand them. Saturday the boat starts without any trouble and we are finally boating. We boat and swim for awhile and have a good time. We left the boat on the water so that Sunday morning Bryce and Dakotah can go fishing in the early morning. About 8:30 am I am woke up by Bryce saying: "Wake the Fuck up Sleeping Beauty the lake dropped a couple of feet over night and it is stuck in the mud!" Up I jump throwing on my swim suit and grabbing a still sleeping Emily out of her bed. Down to the lake we head and after 45 minutes of pushing, pulling, digging and dragging we finally get it free and drag it out into deeper water and reanchoring it. Now we are ready for breakfast. We cook clean and pack up because we have to relinquish our spot by noon. I tow the boat trailer with the truck while Bryce is driving the motorhome. I can tow the trailer straight but to back it down the boat ramp no way. So the plan is to drop the motorhome off at the dock area, take Bryce back to the area where we left the boat because I am not sure of my abiltlty to drive the boat by myself, I drive the truck and the trailer back to the boat dock and get in the long line for the ramp, Bryce ties the boat to the dock and comes up and drives the truck down the ramp and then loads the boat and I pull it out of the water. Well the boat got mildly stuck again in the mud so it took longer to get it back to the dock while I am in line for the ramp. My turn comes up and there is no Bryce and no boat. I had to drive back around and get back in line. We got the boat loaded and secured reattached to the motorhome for the drive home and off we went. I realize I need to: 1. Learn how to drive the motor home, 2.learn how to drive the boat, 3. Learn how to back the trailer down the ramp, and 4.learn how to tow the trailer with ease. We had a good time and it was truly relaxing.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Last Day said...

5. Learn how to actually relax.

I don't see how you call that relaxing. The lake dropped 2 ft., sticking the boat in the mud - dig it out. The boats battery fries itself. You get bit by a bunch of bugs at a half way descent concert. Your wiring harness to your trailer gets wasted. Sounds like a lot of fun. You should do that more often.

Tue Aug 01, 06:18:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Angela said...

It was fun because it is the art of camping. I just laughed at the mud, the battery, and the wiring harness it is all funny really. The bug bites sucked because I had to take benadryl and then could only wake up to scratch the bites and reapply the benadryl cream.

Tue Aug 01, 10:40:00 PM MDT  
Blogger The Last Day said...

Next time, you should call me before you go. I will come over the night before and cut your wiring harness, fill your bed with army ants, replace your boat's battery with a dead one, and run the water in your backyard until it becomes a mud pit. Then you can sleep in your motorhome while it is parked in the driveway and experience the "art of camping" next to the comforts of your own home. I don't know why you would need to drive somewhere else for all that excitement. And you are right; it is funny.

Wed Aug 02, 06:19:00 PM MDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home