Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Chaos

What a night at work. I had the privilege to be Charge and we had every bed full including our overflow beds and others waiting for beds. I was handling it alright until I had one of the nurses whine to me about how tired she was and how hungry she was and I wasn't being fair because she is pregnant. Now mind you the fact that she only found out 10 days ago she was pregnant and is only 11 weeks along. I had to explain to her that no one had less of an assignment than her and in fact I was the one who should be bitching as I had as much of an assignment as she did on top of being the Charge Nurse. As Charge I get to deal with the doctors, anesthesia, PACU, the E.D., the Postpartum floor, peds and all the nurses and have to attend every delivery that happens as well as deal with everything else. I held my composure and did not come unglued and loose it but I did offer to trade her assignments including being charge. She quickly changed her tune. I didn't get off work until 8:15 am but thanks to all the nurses and the clerks and everyone else things went the best they could. I am glad overall I had a good group of coworkers and they all put their everything into it. Thanks guys.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Last Day said...

You should have bitch slapped that whiner and then told her to take a smoke break. That's what I do when people complain to me about how overworked they are. When they come back, if they do, they are madder than ever and hold a grudge towards me until the job is complete, then I pay them their final check and suggest that they find a less strenuous job in a different line of work.

No, not really.

Wed Jun 28, 03:11:00 PM MDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the last day needs a vacation, but he is funny. You are a great compassionate nurse--your patients and co-workers are lucky to have you. Have a great day. Nae

Wed Jun 28, 10:57:00 PM MDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home